Cynicism

Originally written on: 9/6/09

If I were to name one change I've noticed in essentially all my friends as we've aged, it is the onslaught of that age-old infliction (or muse, if you like) known as Cynicism. I, too, feel the pernicious talons of that tempting siren beckoning to me relentlessly and have all but succumbed to her easy charm. I mean, really.. why not? She is harmless and beautiful and full of promises of revealing to you the truths of life.

Once surrendered, you will never look the naive fool again and will safely be classified into that exclusive club of "those who know better"; from that vantage point you can never be disappointed, only pleasantly but mildly surprised; you will always be right and be able to claim "I told you so" and even in the few instances in which you were wrong.. well it was only an exception; you will feel sufficiently wise and superior to those around you and have unfalteringly prudent advice for one and all; you will always know the correct course of action or belief: whichever one involves the least risks, assumptions, trust and reliance. You will feel very smart, indeed, and everyone will think so as well. You will be self-sufficient and looked up to and bask in your self-congratulatory knowledge of "reality." Apparently, not everyone's smart enough to see reality like you do and this fact is something to be proud of in its own right.

But, as with all things, there's a lot to be lost with the adoption of our friend Cynicism. The experience of having something to believe in is gone; you can no longer feel the bone-deep gratification that comes with knowing something is worthwhile. You cannot grasp at anything as there is nothing stable to rely on; everything is suspect. There is no feeling of trust or being trustworthy.. how can you even know that you are worthy or good? Extreme moments of happiness are out of the question and must be quelled at the first pathetic signs of bloom.. they jeopardize the hardened jaded facade and negative aura that must be maintained at all times in order to be a true Cynic. You see, Cynicism is essentially a catch-22. Any break from cynicism immediately renders you a non-Cynic, and therefore something to be scorned at by that elite club of Cynics..

As we go forward in our hyper-rational world - particularly those of us in the business of rational "scientific thought" - I hope we will refrain from scoffing at improbabilities and religiously cherishing a negative world-view. At the very least, as we achieve respected positions and increasingly influence policy and opinion, I hope we won't make the mistake of shoving Cynicism down the throats of those who look up to us. I have caught myself on many occasion advising a girlfriend not to give that no-good boyfriend of hers another chance or a friend not to make that recklessly stupid career move. Thankfully, on most of those occasions, I caught myself. Who am I to know?

It is easy to be a Cynic. It is always easier to doubt than to believe. But when did it ever pay off to take the easy way out? I, for one, hope I have the sense and strength never to let her win.

Comments

Popular Posts